This French onion hen casserole marries tender hen with caramelized onions, crusty bread, and effervescent cheese all baked in a single dish! It’s SO fast and straightforward to make.
Whether or not you’re craving French onion soup otherwise you want a heat and hearty household dinner, this French onion hen will hit the spot. It’s wealthy and savory and deceptively straightforward to make.
Unsure what this dish particulars? Properly, it showcases well-seasoned and juicy hen nestled in a creamy sauce with layers of caramelized onions, toasted baguette slices, and lumps of melted cheese. We like to make it for cozy household dinners, but it surely’s fab for serving friends, too!
Desk of Contents
Why this recipe works
- Fast and straightforward. Assembling this French onion hen bake is a breeze! Flip to this recipe when craving consolation meals that cooks up in minutes.
- All of the textures! You get the tender hen, crispy-soaked baguettes, and gooey cheese… what extra might you need?
- No canned soup. Some French onion casserole recipes name for canned soup. However, Mine options upgraded flavors because of a hen broth-based sauce created from scratch.
You’ll love the straightforward substances on this casserole and the truth that you in all probability have most of them at dwelling already. That is what you’ll want:
- Hen breast. Boneless, skinless breasts are chopped into bite-sized items. In the event you don’t have hen breasts at dwelling, be at liberty to make use of boneless, skinless hen thighs as a substitute.
- Herbs and spices. Salt, pepper, dried thyme, and paprika are used to season the hen and provides each piece an indulgent, heat taste.
- Butter. To stop the hen and onions from sticking within the pan.
- Onions. French onion soup is usually made with yellow onions, however virtually any number of onion will work. You possibly can even use shallots you probably have them available.
- Balsamic vinegar. This provides a candy, acidic taste that cuts via the opposite wealthy flavors.
- Garlic. Freshly minced cloves.
- Hen inventory. Use a good-quality inventory for essentially the most comforting taste.
- French baguette. To cowl the casserole and add a buttery crunch to every chunk, similar to in conventional French onion soup.
- Gruyere cheese. It is a traditional cheese alternative for French onion-inspired dishes. Provolone or Swiss cheese additionally works effectively.
Methods to make a French onion hen casserole
This recipe is straightforward to assemble, particularly whenever you observe my time-saving ideas beneath. Right here’s an outline:
Season the hen: Minimize the hen into bite-size cubes, then season them with salt, pepper, thyme, and paprika.
Brown the hen: Cook dinner the hen in a scorching buttered skillet till the items have browned. Switch them to a baking dish.
Caramelize the onions: Add extra butter to the skillet, then add the onions. Cook dinner till they’re golden and caramelized. Afterward, add within the balsamic and garlic, then cook dinner till aromatic.
Assemble and bake: Pour the onions over the hen within the baking dish. Pour the hen inventory over prime, then cowl with the toasted baguette slices and grated cheese. Bake the casserole till the cheese is melted.
Tricks to make the most effective recipe
- Slowly caramelize the onions. When performed correctly, this step can take between half-hour to 1 hour. Simply be affected person… You need to obtain that deep, caramelized taste as a result of it provides the timeless style of French onion soup to this casserole.
- Relaxation earlier than serving. Let the casserole relaxation for a couple of minutes after baking to assist the flavors meld collectively and agency up the feel.
- Time-saving ideas. Velocity up the recipe by browning the hen, caramelizing the onions, and shredding the cheese 1 to 2 days forward of time. You may also shred a store-bought rotisserie hen to avoid wasting much more time.
Recipe and taste variations
Whereas I don’t advocate straying too removed from the recipe, you may make a number of small adjustments to customise it:
Add mushrooms. Sauté sliced mushrooms with the onions for additional taste and texture.
Add bacon. Toss crispy bacon crumbles with the hen and onions for an irresistible salty taste and crunch.
Vegetarian. Skip the hen and make a vegetarian French onion casserole utilizing plant-based hen or roasted greens, like bell peppers, zucchini, onion, eggplant, or potatoes and carrots.
Low-carb. Cowl your French onion hen casserole with a low-carb substitute for the bread, like cauliflower rice or cauliflower mash.
To retailer: Retailer the leftover casserole in an hermetic container within the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
To freeze: After the unbaked casserole is assembled, cowl the highest with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and freeze for two to three months. Let it thaw in a single day within the fridge and observe the baking directions the following day.
Extra comforting casserole recipes
Often requested questions
Whereas the precise origins of the identify could differ, “French onion” typically refers back to the French culinary strategy of slowly caramelizing onions to develop their pure sugars and create a wealthy, candy, and savory taste.
It’s, apart from the bread. To make a gluten-free casserole, merely substitute the French bread for crusty gluten-free bread, gluten-free breadcrumbs, or crushed gluten-free crackers.
This hen casserole is satisfying all by itself however you may make it a part of a well-rounded meal by pairing every scoop with a easy inexperienced salad and sautéed or roasted greens on the aspect. Attempt mashed potatoes, risotto, polenta, or buttered egg noodles to make the meal additional comforting.
Forestall your display from going darkish
Preheat the oven to 250C/475F.
Season the hen with salt, pepper, thyme and paprika.
Warmth half of the butter in a skillet, and as soon as scorching, add the hen. Cook dinner till it adjustments shade and put aside.
Add the remainder of the butter to the skillet and add the onion. Cowl with a lid and cook dinner, stirring often, till the onions are softened, round 5-7 minutes.
Pour within the balsamic and garlic and cook dinner for 1-2 minutes.
Switch the onions to a baking dish, mix with the hen, and pour hen inventory over it. Cowl the casserole with the toasted baguette items, adopted by grated cheese.
Bake for 5-10 minutes or till the cheese melts and serve heat.
Serving: 1servingEnergy: 410kcalCarbohydrates: 28gProtein: 35gFats: 17gSodium: 1058mgPotassium: 380mgFiber: 2gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 419IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 302mgIron: 3mgNET CARBS: 26g
Disclosure: This submit could comprise affiliate hyperlinks. I’ll earn a small fee for my endorsement, advice, testimonial, and/or hyperlink to any services or products from this web site.