This entry was posted on Jul 20, 2023 by Charlotte Bell.
From the skin, Restorative Yoga and Yin Yoga look fairly related. Each contain passive poses, on the ground. Each types contain liberal use of yoga props—Yoga Blocks, Yoga Bolsters, Yoga Blankets and Yoga Straps. However regardless of the seeming similarities, each the intentions behind them, and the felt experiences of the 2 practices, are very totally different. In the event you‘d wish to make an knowledgeable selection between Restorative Yoga and Yin Yoga, which one is finest for you in a given state of affairs?
The reply, as with so many questions on yoga follow is: it relies upon.
Restorative Yoga and Yin Yoga: The Similarities
In the event you’re on the lookout for a slower, quieter yoga follow to decompress from a busy life, each Restorative Yoga and Yin Yoga can present a nonetheless counterpoint. In each yoga types, we maintain poses for an extended time, from a minute to 5 minutes or extra. (In Restorative Yoga, we will comfortably maintain poses for so long as 20 minutes!) Each types use the assist of yoga props to help you keep longer within the pose, and to control the feeling you’re feeling. Restorative Yoga and Yin Yoga each intention to calm the thoughts and physique, and emphasize a mild method.
How Do Restorative Yoga and Yin Yoga Differ?
There are various variations between the 2 types. The primary is the intention behind every follow. In Restorative Yoga, the aim is to down-regulate your nervous system, and to shift you right into a parasympathetic (rest-and-digest) state. Yin Yoga’s intention is to entry deep connective tissue, similar to fascia, ligaments and tendons. Restorative yoga goals to create a way of opening, with little to no stretching sensation. Whereas Yin Yoga emphasizes a gradual launch into every pose, practitioners are join mentally and emotionally with evolving stretching sensations.
Restorative Yoga: Advantages and Contraindications
Restorative Yoga is usually thought of to be protected for anybody, even for individuals with accidents. Listed below are a few of the advantages:
- Calms the physique and thoughts.
- Soothes anxiousness.
- Shifts the autonomic nervous system from fight-or-flight to rest-and-digest.
- Releases muscular stress.
- Boosts the immune system.
- Helps higher sleep.
- Promotes deep relaxation.
There actually aren’t any contraindications for practising Restorative Yoga. The one one I can consider is that this: Individuals experiencing melancholy may need to concentrate on the supine poses fairly than the supported forward-bending poses. Ahead bending tends to advertise inward focus, which can or will not be a good suggestion for individuals experiencing melancholy.
Yin Yoga: Advantages and Contraindications
Listed below are a few of the advantages of Yin Yoga:
- Will increase circulation by stress-free tender tissue.
- Calms the thoughts and physique due to the slower tempo.
- Consideration to refined physique sensation fosters focus.
- Releases stress within the fascia.
- Improves joint mobility.
- Brings stability to the organs by way of meridian stimulation. The idea behind that is that the meridians reside within the fascial layer of the physique. Based on the follow, longer holds take us deeper than the muscular layer of the physique, into the connective tissues. This influences the meridian system.
Opinions abound about whether or not Yin Yoga is contraindicated in sure circumstances. Some proponents contend that the aim is to emphasize, and to not stretch, connective tissues. Others emphasize the stretching facet. Opponents of Yin Yoga warning that practitioners who’re hypermobile, pregnant, or who’ve osteoporosis mustn’t follow Yin Yoga. In the event you’re concerned with practising Yin Yoga, it may be good to discover these opposing opinions to find out whether or not the follow is best for you.
Listed below are usually, however not universally, accepted contraindications:
- These with current or ongoing again, neck, sacroiliac (SI) joint or hip damage ought to keep away from or proceed with warning.
- Ligaments, significantly these across the hip joints, are already extra versatile throughout being pregnant due to the hormone relaxin. Most of Yin Yoga’s poses emphasize lower-body stretching, so pregnant individuals ought to follow with care.
- Hypermobile individuals usually don’t want to extend joint mobility. As an individual born with a hypermobile physique, I benefit from the lengthy holds and quiet of Yin Yoga. However I follow for at least sensation. My physique doesn’t must be extra versatile, so after I follow passive poses with longer holds, I keep properly inside my comfy vary of movement as a substitute of pushing my “edge.”
- Individuals with osteoporosis ought to proceed with warning. Yin Yoga emphasizes numerous seated forward-bending poses, which may exacerbate the kyphotic thoracic curve.
Practising Restorative Yoga and Yin Yoga
Each Restorative Yoga and Yin Yoga encourage practitioners to maneuver slowly and with care. Restorative Yoga poses are designed to advertise opening, with minimal sensation, fairly than stretching. So it’s essential to set your self up with numerous yoga props so that every one your joints are supported. Whereas there might be some stretching sensation in Yin Yoga, academics urge college students to maneuver slowly and to not push their edge. In the event you’re going to follow both model of yoga, it’s smart to follow with an skilled trainer who can present you the way to prop your poses for max profit.
These two forms of yoga follow don’t need to be mutually unique. You may follow Yin Yoga once you really feel that your physique would love a soothing stretch. And you’ll follow Restorative Yoga when your nervous system feels frazzled. Take note of the aftereffects of every follow, with the intention to make knowledgeable decisions about which model to follow at what time. In both case, you’ll want to give your self a pleasant, lengthy Savasana (Rest Pose).
About Charlotte Bell
Charlotte Bell found yoga in 1982 and commenced instructing in 1986. Charlotte is the creator of Aware Yoga, Aware Life: A Information for On a regular basis Apply and Yoga for Meditators, each printed by Rodmell Press. Her third ebook is titled Hip-Wholesome Asana: The Yoga Practitioner’s Information to Defending the Hips and Avoiding SI Joint Ache (Shambhala Publications). She writes a month-to-month column for CATALYST Journal and serves as editor for Yoga U On-line. Charlotte is a founding board member for GreenTREE Yoga, a non-profit that brings yoga to underserved populations. A lifelong musician, Charlotte performs oboe and English horn within the Salt Lake Symphony and people sextet Purple Rock Rondo, whose DVD received two Emmy awards in 2010.